View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:31 am 
I'm looking to expand and wondering if the HomeRun works out of the box with R5E50? If it does, as I believe it should, this would be a great addition. They have a well supported forumfor the HDHR.

Any experiences with HomeRun? Does it have any special network needs? (It shouldn't) The wikionly shows 3 people using the HDHR and I was looking for experiences (good, bad, ugly) with it as well.

TIA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:47 am 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
Does it have any special network needs? (It shouldn't)

I don't have one, but I'm intrigued by it.
If I were using one, I'd probably put it on its own subnet, so that it wouldn't impact (or be impacted by) regular traffic on our home network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:05 am 
My experience with a HDHR and Comcast QAM is doesn't work out of the box KMR5E50. I never tried OTA though...

That being said Knoppmyth is not the issue but rather MythTV .20. The fix for me was recompiling MythTV from SVN. It is not hard to do following the guide on KnoppMyth wiki. After this change the HDHR is fine. I got my HDHR late 2006, so the fix for it may be included in MythTV fixes branch now, but that really won't help at this point as KMR5E50 isn't using that fixes branch.

I am VERY happy with the device, but don't have a frontend powerful enough yet to output 1080 content and been using it for 480i TV mainly.

Depending on your Cable provider the HDHR could be a pain to setup if they don't broadcast QAM channel data (Comcast didn't) that required a lot of editing to MySQL DB and time, although you could get lucky and someone has a QAM layout for your area. This problem is NOT specific to HDHR though, same issues exist with other QAM tuners.

Search more in this forum for my posts and Silicondust forums for more info. I know I posted a pretty well detailed setup for someone on these forums.

For network, I wired my house and everything is on 10/100. I did try the HDHR over 11mbs wireless and my laptop. On 11mbs wasn't too good, stutters and 1080 is poor, 54mbs is better but don't know if I would trust it espically if another machine is using the shared 54mbs. A few ppl have just added another NIC and done crossover cable to HDHR with DHCP on their MythTV boxes as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:03 pm 
Worked fine for me out of the box with R5E50. Getting the guide data setup took a little bit but was not hard. Overall I highly recommend the HDHomeRun, it has worked very well for me so far. Using Comcast QAM and a gigabit switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:13 pm 
Just for the record you don't need a cross-over cable with the HDHomerun it's network port is auto sensing.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:09 pm 
It does not work out of the the box with QAM and R5E0. You need to upgrade to the latest head off the repository. Actually if you check the silicondust forums people reccomend particular revisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:31 pm 
I'm pretty sure all of the necessary patches were backported to .20-fixes, you'll probably be better off using that rather than head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:38 pm 
As of when? Just asking because I know as of 3 months ago that was not the case. I would love to switch back to the fixes branch.

actually I just checked the forum and it seems you are correct
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2749

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:11 am 
I can confirm that as of now (actually, 14 April I believe), the 0.20.fixes branch does allow you to use HDHomerun with QAM. I will update the wiki on doing this update when I can (I have written it, just haven't persuaded the wiki system to take my edits)

Also, for me (Comcast MA), there now appears to be more metadata broadcast, or something, because my listings matched up in most cases without me having to do unpleasant things with tables and XML channel ids etc... I followed the instructions on hdhomerun.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:24 am 
Hmmm,

I don't have my HDHR anymore (sold it to my brother-in-law), but I had it for the end of football season and it worked perfectly for me with a stock R5E50 system, pulling QAM from my Comcast cable. My guess is that whether it works with the stock R5E50 will depend on your particular local Comcast distribution center.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:12 pm 
my HDHR has been working out of the box since r5e50. I have been using QAM with adelphia/time warner cable. I had to edit the channels to have guide information but it wasn't too hard using mythweb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:38 am 
Argh - other threads said you had to upgrade, so I did it without trying the default... I wonder what that was all about. I saw a commit on 14th April which looked relevant, so perhaps it's only worth trying an upgrade to MythTV if something isn't working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:09 pm 
PLEASE POST HDHOMERUN SETUP INSTRUCTIONS!!! I am a Comcast (Atlanta, GA) user, I've had my HDHOMERUN since Christmas and it has never worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:21 pm 
Have you tried the wiki? or the HDHOMERUN forum, they seem very helpful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:46 pm 
I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm having trouble getting qam to work on my HDHR running R5F1. I thought I got it working once, but now it locks but never shows picture and exits TV to main menu. I've got a KWorld 110 working with qam without problems, but no go on the HDHR. HDHR works just fine with OTA.

My question I guess is does qam work out of the box with F1 on the HDHR?

Go to page 1, 2  Next